Happy (almost) summer! The last time I posted, there were mounds of snow everywhere, but now I am happy to report that there is not a single flake of snow on the ground. Therefore, it’s time for a summer-y post!
That means it’s time for Shirley Temple cupcakes! Who doesn’t love grenadine syrup in a lemon-lime soda? Yum! For my interpretation, I made a lemon lime base with a grenadine buttercream.
Cake, yield 12
1 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup of buttermilk
1/4 cup Sprite or Ginger Ale
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lime juice
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup of butter, room temperature
3/4 cup of sugar
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In a measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, vanilla extract, Sprite, lime juice, and lemon juice.
3. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs to the mixture one at a time.
5. Add the flour mixture and the liquids alternately, beating well after each addition. Consistency should be similar to a pudding.
6. Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
7. Bake at 325F for about 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Lime Grenadine Buttercream Frosting
3/4 cup unsalted butter (1½ stick)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 cups confectioner’s sugar
4 tablespoons cream
2 tablespoons grenadine
1 teaspoon lime juice.
1. Whip the butter until it is light and fluffy.
2. Mix in the liquids and confectioner’s sugar until it is at a desired consistency.
3. Frost cupcakes and decorate.